Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Switch

One of the ways to make a windows user switch over to using Linux is by letting him just look at the feel of the interface. Introducing someone to linux and presenting them with a terminal to work on directly will provide a very intimidating view of linux.

For most Windows users the Mac represents one of the best user interfaces they have seen. However they do not make a switch to the Mac as there is still tons of software which isn't fully compatible with it. I been fortunate enough to use a Mac during my research assistantship days in Rolla. The lab only had Mac's to work on. I had never worked on a Mac before and used to experiment quite a bit with it. The GUI for the Mac was just too good. It was intuitive to such an extent that a kid could use it without any problems. However there was still something missing. The number of apps for Windows was huge compared to the Mac and also gaming hadn't taken off for the Mac. (Yes, dual boot may be the solution but then that defeats the whole purpose of taking a Mac.)

I had tinkered a bit with the KDE and GNOME desktop environments for Linux and had found them to be really easy to use. Also I was quite confident that this time around was the right time to make the switch as after this I probably wouldn't have got the patience or the time to experiment with Ubuntu.

2 comments:

Santosh Gokak said...

Hi Abhi, nice to see you blog.
I have a second thought on the dual boot thing.
The whole idea to get the mac running on intel was to reach more user and a way towards getting the PC to Mac transition started.
The dual boot thing on Mac is great.
If you are not smart enough to do the dual boot, there are open source products like virtualbox which give you virtualization.
have u tinkered any of this?

Shrek said...

thx man...yeah m havin virtualbox on my system but haven't got a chance 2 use it yet...cos i don't have my windows cd with me..(i lost it)...n also havent felt the need (yet) to get a windows app exclusively...

i never had a mac personally as such so hav no idea how true it is about the whole dual boot issue. I was assigned a Mac during my student days from the dept and so was very confined ass to how much i could use it for....